The City sprays for mosquitos during "wet" seasons. This is done at night when fewer people are outside. Below are guidelines that will help lessen the mosquito population around your home.
Zika Virus Protection and Prevention
Measures for Individuals to Protect Themselves from Mosquito Bites
- wear insect repellent, cover up with long-sleeved shirts and long pants,
- keep mosquitoes out with air conditioning or intact window screens, and
- limit outdoor activities during peak mosquito times.
Measures for Individuals to Prevent Mosquito Breeding
At least weekly, carefully check the area around your home, school, or workplace formosquito breeding areas:
- clear and empty gutters;
- empty or get rid of cans, buckets, old tires, pots, plant saucers, and other containersthat hold water;
- remove standing water around structures and from flat roofs;
- change water in pet dishes daily;
- rinse and scrub vases and other indoor water containers weekly;
- change water in wading pools and bird baths several times a week;
- maintain backyard pools or hot tubs;
- cover trash containers;
- water lawns and gardens carefully so water does not stand for several days;
- screen rain barrels and openings to water tanks or cisterns; and
- treat front and back door areas of homes with residual insecticides if mosquitoes areabundant nearby.